Originally Posted By: Alex Williams
 Quote:
The caves in which these pictures (and most others like them) occur are extremely hard places to get into. In some cases they are in the farthest possible recesses, or on high ceilings hard to reach. They were not made in everyday places for common consumption. They were special, which probably indicates a religious significance.

So even in prehistoric times, art was esoteric and inaccessible. Not that surprising, really.

Not easy to combine pre-history and post-history. Back to ThePook to agree that there seem to have been special worshipping caves (I already mentioned). They did live in caves in that region, but different caves. In the fifties Time-Life ran a series of articles called: The Epic of Man.
I have the whole series in a special translated edition. 1963.
Two illustration by Alton S.Tobey who, like it or not, did a great job.

painters at work

worshipping

Most art,when taken over all the works created all through history is very accessible. It's only lately that artists seem to create a deliberate inaccessibiliy. "The Emperor's wardrobe" Esoteric has always been part of art. What's wrong with that?

And the Falls'Feind's "Tulips and Holaland" must be a postmodern poetry line e.i. I don't get it. \:\)

Last edited by BranShea; 10/02/08 03:40 PM.