Definitely ! Premodernism.
But on my way to find more exactitude I came across this promising site and fell into the fantastic trap of what structuralist and poststructuralist philosophy and methods have saddled us up with:
Now please, don't be intimidated; it's just a piece of language.

About the Prehistoric female and male statuettes , what we naïves used to call "fertility statues":

"Drawing upon my proposed decipherment of UP geometric signs, I have proposed that the so-called 'Venus' figurines from Eurasian sites, as well as many other anthropomorphic figures, represent and encode a female and male spiritual transformation processes. These appear to parallel some of the shamanic trance postures identified by the anthropologist Felicitas Goodman."

This is what you may call :"Postmodern research methods".

Researching the Origins of Art. Religion, and Mind
Methods for the Prehistory of Religions

"Reconstruct, decode and decipher the overall 'semiotic competence', i.e., the differential features and common medium that offers a structured capacity to articulate meaningful narrativity and discourse, including conceptual, thematic, semantic, pragmatic, syntactic and glyphic deep structure. At this point the method may draw upon structuralist grammar (N. Chomsky), structuralist semantics (A.J.-Greimas) and so on. This stage may be termed the ‘structuralist moment' of interpretation. Decipher ‘meaning’ or ‘message’ being communicated using differential features of the semiotic competence as employed in a particular subject-matter to generate and amplify a meaning 'for them' and a poetics of feeling-toned meaning 'for us.' Consider limits of interpretation within a hermeneutic method or exegetic procedure amplifying meaning 'for them' and 'for us' (e.g., Hans-Georg Gadamer, Wolfgang Iser, reader response theory). Explore amplification of archetypal symbols as thea/opoetics, (Hopper and Miller) that is as a poetic performative presencing of supernatural beings, spiritual principles, or divine powers. Attempt to systematically reconstruct, within the limits of residual artifacts and contextual factors, tentative prehistoric beliefs and thea/ologies, rituals or myths or their underlying structural themes, based on the decoding of the semiotic competence and decipherment of actual products of this competence 'Systematicity' criteria may include: Coherence, consistency and comprehensiveness of accounting for the semiotic evidence. A rigorous critical method, such as mythic group-theoretic structure (Levi-Strauss) or set-theoretic inclusion/exclusion dialectics (deconstruction and critical theories of privilege and marginalization).
Check adequacy of the decoding to the processual archeological context--a check on validity of the decoding.

(I have the site , but it said something about copyrighted, well uh.. I hope I'll survive)

Last edited by BranShea; 10/01/08 04:46 PM.