Must admit I am not sure about this, whether it is a standing theory or whether it is a supposition of my own or maybe I just dreamed it.

Cave
I'm not presuming that all the prehistoric drawings in the caves are made on natural marking places. I'm just thinking about the origin: the very first drawings.
When you look at the linked cave you see animals drawn, painted.
But in between the actual drawings, just with a little bit of imagination you can see more animals just by means of the light striking the unevennesses of the surface.

Those people were hunters. The shapes of animals must have been stored very clearly in their minds. Living in those caves, using torches drained in animal fat , the light must have played constantly over the natural markings in those caves. And more mysteriously then today's light beams.They must have seen the shapes of animals maybe before they started the very first
drawing . (hum, I have to look into this again and I will, but that will take some time)

The inspiration behind these paintings certainly was a mixture of magic and reverence, roots of religion. ( some say the caves were special worship places.)The little fertility statuettes are older than the drawings as far as I remember.
If I'm wrong surely someone will correct me.

A site for those who are really interested in the subject:
Cap Blanc

Last edited by BranShea; 10/01/08 01:05 PM.