Originally Posted By: Alex Williams
I don't buy the capitalization of "Post and Beam" so (A) is out.

Yeah I worried about that too, but none of the others seemed any better. I chose it because of the (probably faux) etymological potential from "frame" and "poled" but no doubt that's what the daffynitionist intended and I have fallen into their clever trap.

Quote:
I like (B)'s directness.

That would have been my second or third guess. It's simple and there's nothing in it that is not "dictionary-like." I suspect you are right.

Quote:
I don't believe "the setting" in (C).

Maybe, but I think it's in the top three of possibilities. Again because of the frame (fram) involved.

Quote:
I don't believe (D) because I don't think raspberry wine would have a unique name for storage rooms over other types of vinoculture.

Nor would it be fermented in a room, but in a container.

Quote:
The wording of (E) lacks a certain 'dictionary flavor.'

I doubt that there would be a word specifically for the bottom jaw of the 'clamp.' Nor is it really a 'clamp' that is used, but more like a hydraulic claw or grabber. I live in a logging area, though I suppose it doesn't necessarily mean I would have heard the term, but I haven't.

Quote:
(F) is attractive but I just read a long passage in Patrick O'Brian this week about winding ropes and there was no mention of the term.

It's called a windlass isn't it?

Quote:
(G) has just the sort of faux dictionary language that I like to employ in my fake definitions. Then again maybe it is true.
Maybe it is, it's not bad. Great minds think alike perhaps? But is it yours and another daffynitionist or yours and Mr Webster or Collins?

Quote:
(H) is another too-jocular entry IMO. (I) is vague -- what game is referred to?

I hesitated over I - is the game called 'tables'? It's just wacky enough to be the real definition though.

Quote:
(J) does not jive with my [limited] musical knowledge.

It's possible, but I agree not likely.

Quote:
I cast my vote for (B) .

I have a horrile suspicion you may be right. \:\(

Last edited by The Pook; 08/08/08 01:02 AM.