I just read On the Road, and found it only one step less boring than Crime and Punishment, which I read a couple of months ago. I will only give Kerouac props because of when he wrote it: then, it was quite scandalous to write openly of sex, let alone drug use. Now: eh-h-h. A lady in our group had bought a book about authors; at my question she consulted it, and said he wrote it for the money.

As to philosophy: mostly, it bores me to tears, though I enjoy learning about societal philosophies, mores, etc. and how they vary. But oh, why do so many so-called philosophers say, in essence, that the world is a horrible place and we're all miserable so why don't we just kill ourselves now? SHEESH! Give me some happy philosophers! The world is indeed a wondrous place and, while not every single person is wonderful, the vast majority of us are, and isn't it SO interesting to note the good in each of us (though sometimes we kind of have to dig for it), and isn't it just fascinating to watch how we all interact with each other and the world we live in?? It's SO cool!