I just saw most of a show on educational television about "Miss Lil's Camp", which I'd never heard of. Indeed, if I'd ever heard her name I'd forgotten it. Here is a link to a site about her, if anyone is interested.
The show featured four now-old ladies, former campers, who all spoke of Miss Smith with passion and near-reverence, for her ability to influence the girls enough to teach them to think, to establish their own values, and to be assertive in sticking to them. Very unusual for the era.
Now--the reason that made me think of posting about her here: she wrote the book Strange Fruit, and during the show they played some old interviews with her, in one of which she said she didn't know how the term got to be associated with lynchings, but that that wasn't her intended meaning. She said she had used the term prior to the book in an essay, and what she meant was that the white people of the segregationist South were the strange fruit born of that social custom.
I just thought it was interesting to hear the author of a term refute the "common" meaning it had taken on.