Originally Posted By: kassack
Hello!

And Здравствуйте! to you too. \:\)

I'm from far Russia...
I'm working in Maritime Industry business...

And I'm about as far from Russia as you can get...

The problem is the following - i'm trying to generate a wordform - type of my profession. i'm not a sailor or mariner but i [am] still relating to [the] sea.
I've got an idea - to call the profession of a man relating to maritime industry as "MARITIMER"
1.Whot do you think about it? I'm going in right direction or not?
What are your feelings when you will:
2.Hear this word
3.Spelling it
4.Reading it

It's not a normal way of describing what you do in English, but a native English speaker would perhaps understand what you meant, depending on its context in a sentence. Some would probably recognise it for what it is - a word you have coined yourself to describe your profession because no other word describes it as succinctly. Though perhaps we might still assume you mean mariner.

The nearest term would perhaps be 'maritime worker' but if you tell us what you do more precisely we may be able to suggest other more specific words. There are lots of jobs associated with the shipping industry - stevedore, shipping clerk, etc.

PS:Please excuse my terrific english

Your 'terrific' English is better than my non-existent Russian!
Although... either you were using irony or sarcasm, or you meant to use the word 'terrible' I think? Terrific in older English used to mean causing terror or horrible, but now it means almost the opposite - when you call something 'terrific' it means it is exceptional, great, fortunate or good.

Last edited by The Pook; 04/22/08 07:55 AM.