This is kind of related...I just thought it was such a neat fact that everyone might appreciate...

I now live on the island of Newfoundland, and there are no snakes, skunks, or poison ivy on the island. Coming from the Prairies where there are scads of all those things, I find this VERY weird.

However, moose near the roads are a big problem. Their belly is just the height of a car windshield and people die every year on the highways here, after hitting a moose. They completely destroy cars. You're actually advised not to drive outside of the cities/towns at night for that reason. They're so dumb that they (apparently) just stand there, and then tend to run across the road, rather than away from it. (I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't seen a moose here, yet.) Apparently there are 100,000 moose on the island. When you consider that the human population is about 500,000 - WOW!

So this brings to mind, what's the difference between a moose and an elk? Name only? I looked it up online with Webster's and it said elk is European. It also says that some zoologists consider it to be the same species as the North American moose, or "wapiti". Now THERE'S a cool word I haven't heard recently.