Originally Posted By: etaoin
though I hear gararge frequently, I can't remember ever hearing "lor" for law.

Australians add an 'r' to the pronunciation of 'law' if it is followed by a word beginning with a vowel. There's a name for it, it's called the linking R I think? As in the example given, Law and Order. We really do say it "Laura Norder" (dropping the 'd' in 'and' and moving the 'n' to the beginning of the next word as well). We do the same with the word 'drawing',' pronouncing it as 'droring'.

The Schwa sound is very important in Australian English, but even more important in Kiwi. They pronounce pretty much every short 'i' sound as 'ə'. So for them ship and sheep are not homophones, though for Aussies they are much closer, not quite the same, but if an Aussie says "ship" they are likely to be misheard by a Kiwi as "sheep". But then Kiwis think everything revolves around sheep anyway.

I never realised that "um" is pronounced "əm" (or "erm" in non-rhotic British transliteration) by Americans. I always thought it was "um" (that is, IPA "ɶm" or "ɑm"). That's how we say the exclamation meaning, "err, ahh, I'm not sure."