Pinchbeck is a metal alloy. It is used for things like photo frames. Its main use was in the 19th century for the preserver matts and frames around daguerreotypes and ambrotypes. When used in this context in America it is called Preserver. Pinchbeck is its British name.

Here is an example of a Pinchbeck preserver frame from my daguerreotype collection:

Last edited by The Pook; 03/05/08 06:32 AM.