In NY Apartments (as in apartment buildings) can be tenement-- or Pre-war (luxury!) or modern. They can, and in Manhattan are almost always are, owned-- either outright --condo(minium) or co-op(portive).
In Condo, you own your own apartment, and share ownership in common space (roof, stairwells, elevators) and pay maintenance for upkeep of common space.
Co-op you own shares in corporation that owns the building-- and your cost are based on your shares (for maintenance). Most apartment building in desirable areas are condo or co-ops. in less desirable areas, you can still rent an apartment.
By law-in NY it's not a room unless it has a window--(bath room exempt-- but must have ventilation)

Byb, used the word vestibule in NY this is what an apartment building has-- a front door, a vestibule: with an area for mailboxes and door bells (or if luxury a door man)- and a second locked door to get into main part of the building. In your apartment or house you have a foyer-- Vestibule is used for a more public space--
A luxury building might have a Lobby-- a friend lives in an condo with a huge lobby-- it has several sofa, and tables--you can wait in the area while partner goes to garage and gets car, and pulls into semi-circular driveway.

gazebo my gazebo is free standing, open sides with roof-- octagonal out door room-- its about 8 foot across (2.5--2.7 meters) I have a small round table and several chairs in it.

What i like is being out of doors, but having shade, and not sitting on grass--(fewer bugs) and not sitting close to house (its about 15 feet from house (over 4 meters). since its covered, chairs don't get (as) wet. My kids like to use it when they where teens-- even in winter-- they would light a few lanterns, (and pretend they gave some warm) and hang out-- close enough to house to come in an use "facilities*" and to get some hot cocoa-- but far enough away from parents so they thought they had privacy.
*Facilities is a NY euphemism for bathroom/toilet. So restaurants will have a notice "facilities are only for Patrons" --the idea being of the street riff raff can't come in and use toilet with out ordering from restaurant.