>We have something similar but it is called a deacon's bench in English and a beggar's bench in French. It has a back, and is not attached to anything so it can be moved around. People sit on it to take off their boots in wintertime.

I've seen a similar thing, called a boot bench. I was trying to look it up in the IKEA catlogue as I wasn't sure what they called it.

They must save alot of money by using Scandinavian(ish) names and then just translating them in the catlogue (which I assume has the same photographs in every country blessed with an IKEA). I would think that a relatively easy way to find out about another country's culture would be to compare two current catalogues.

The "Bra" (strange name!) is described as a Wardrobe on p334 of the 2000 Catalogue, presumably in other countries a "Bra" is described as a closet. TEORI is descibed as a cutley set on p158, presumably it is described as "silverware" in the US edition.

Funny how the Ikea names don't become generic, I've never heard anyone saying that they were thinking of buying an IVAR or a KRITTER !