I've never been quite sure what an architectural deck (as opposed to a nautical one) is.

Well, Bingley, decks come in all shapes and sizes. The one constant is they are made of wood (a nautical deck connection?)
One couple I know have a house which is ground level in front and up one floor in back -- so across the back of the house, they built a 14 foot wide, railed deck with built-in benches and container areas for plantings, at the kitchen-living room level (entry thru door at end of kitchen)with a staircase to the ground. The stairs are quite wide with several landings, easy to negotiate, pleasant to sit. The deck stretches across the back of the house and around one corner. At that corner is a "ramp" entry to deck and house, easy for those in wheelchairs to use. They spent about $15,000 on the deck in 1987! It is redwood which is a hard treated wood that can withstand our New England extremes of heat and cold. Their deck is a great party place!
On the other side of the scale, I am advised by my carpenter that he can build me a small (9 x 12 foot) deck outside my back door in my pleasant, fenced, dog containing yard for about $600. The deck would not be a "raised deck" (the type described above) but would sit directly on ground with just a slight rise caused by supports under it. It will provide a a pleasant spot.
These are two examples at opposite ends of spectrum ... the choice is how much do you, can you, spend.
On re-sale, a deck does add to value of house.
They can also be built with pergola-niche type areas, fitted with hot tubs, have built-in barbeque areas, have built in bars --- it's all a matter of taste and $$$$$$$$$
That help?
Oh, wait! check out www.decksusa.com! They've got pictures!
wow