The difference between a pergola and trellis: Trellis is lattice that is often leaned up against a wall so plants can climb up. A pergola is often built with trellis but is a free standing structure. People often make vines grow on it so that the leaves create shade but do not stop the breeze from wafting through. You’ll see several on this page… http://www.lifestylepine.com.au/pergolas.htm

Now I would never ask my guests to step into the foyer as that is our word for fireplace (and I usually like the people that pop by )

Does no-one have a guest room anymore?

In my new home I will have a book repository [extremely excited emoticon here]. I can call it a library in English but not in French because a librarie is a place where books are sold. A bibliotheque is both a shelving unit to store books and a building where you go to borrow books.

ground floor is rarely used when speaking of residential houses. Laws require that all houses have at least a six-foot crawl space/basement to get below freezing line in ground. Homes are never at the ground level. When I go down to U.S. hotter states it always seems so odd to see houses sitting on the ground with people just walking in without going up some steps.

When we buy or rent a house we speak in terms of apartments, as in “the house has seven apartments” to mean it has seven rooms for assorted purposes. The bathrooms/toilets are spoken of in terms of half, if there is only one “house has seven and a half apartments” or specific quantities if it has several “the house has seven apartments and two bathrooms.” I know that in most of the rest of Canada they speak of houses and apartments in terms of square footage (yes even though we use metric system).