I have a foyer-- which serves as an air-lock. I can close the door between the living room and foyer- and then open the front door- and i don't get a draft of cold air all through the house.

I have a living room and closed in porch-- this room is seven feet (2.2 meters or so) by the width of the house. It has lots of windows (5) so its bright even though it faces north and never gets full sun.

I have a dining room, and an eat in kitchen.

I have closets in bedrooms and foyer, cabinets in kitchen, and Welsh dresser and sideboard in dining room.
Enclosed porch houses electronic equipement and computer. (there is a second computer area in dining room --from when there were 3 computer users in house hold.)

Upstairs-- three bedrooms-- a hall, a bathroom and a linen closet.
Basement has front room (semi finished- it has ceiling, and carpet on the floor) and a back room the back room has a work table (with table vice and other tools, and a laundry area. just beyond the laundry area is a half bath- this room has toilet, lav (sink) and shower.-- but no bath (hense half bath) my laundry area has a slop sink-- a deep cast iron enamaled sink and is used for yucky stuff-- like when i drain boiler and all the iron and sediment come out--.

Out side in the front-- a concrete set of steps with a platform--my stoop. out side in the back-- a deck --an raised open area with a railing made of wood.

In the back yard i also have a gazebo-- a free standing octagonal structure with a concrete pad, and wooden rails and roof.

when my kids where young, i wished i had a mud room-- a back foyer with a bench and some coat pegs, for removing snowy boots. (or in the spring/ summer removing muddy garden shoes.)
My house is free standing and sort of looks like a five year old picture of a a house. peaked roof, chimney in center, door to side, triple window on first floor, a pair of double windows on second-- and is called a "colonial"

Jo-- you used term "Terraces" --what is meant-- free standing houses, semi attached, attached?

House on my block are terraced-- it is a steep hill and each property has a retaining wall -- so that we each have more or less level yards. but each house is free standing. (zoning requires 2 feet between property line and any structure-- so even garage is not on property line.)

Some of us have gardens too-- but most just have front yard with a patch of lawn. (back yards are some times lawn too, or have decks, or sometime have above ground pools -- almost no inground pools in the area-- taxes on them are too steep! and insurance rates!

I have a old vegetable garden that now just has berry bushes-- raspberry, blackberry and blue berry.-- and two apple trees. I also have some flower beds-- at edge of lawn in back-- and bordering gazebo.

other common style houses on my neighborhood include ranch-- (one story structure) Hi ranch (car garage at ground level, living space one level up) Cape cods, tudors, central hall colonials (more expensive than my side hall style) split levels, row homes (attached on both sides to an other house) and semi attached. there are also garden apartments-- semi attached, two story structures that might have 4 to 5 apartments in one structure. several such structures are grouped together around a common green.

the newest home are called Mc Mansions--(after McDonalds) they are oversized houses on small lots-- and have a cookie cutter look-- all are stucco -- in a pale cream color-- with fake quoins at the corners. they all have palladian windows and large two story foyers. many have fake (not structural) columns out front. most have little decks (about 1 meter by 2 meters) off the master bedroom--(on second floor) with ornate white marble newel posts and ornate balistrades.