Some posts on the thread about "whilst" have raised the question for me regarding architectural and related terms. I wonder, what are the regional differences in describing the parts of buildings?

Depending on the speaker and the exact use of the room, I have heard a room used for common gatherings and activities described as a living room, family room, parlor, sitting room or front room. A room used for entertainment can be called the family room, den, rec room or entertainment center (the latter used when the room is specifically built to house gargantuan electronic entertainment systems). The room used for ablutions is the bathroom, even when it doesn't contain a bathtub. The room housing the cooking is the kitchen. A room used for formal dining is the dining room, while (/whilst ) a room used for everyday eating is the eating area or breakfast nook. The area adjacent to the front entry, used to receive guests, is the entry, entry hall, hall, front hall or foyer.

Other rooms include sun rooms, sewing rooms, and laundry rooms. We have a garden room, so called only because it is adjacent to a walled-in garden area.

Outdoor areas include porches, porticos, stoops, verandahs, piazzas and decks.

And then there are all the style designations, and commercial terms ...