but Joey Buttafuoco isn't a stage name.

you mix up character names from TV shows, with peoples real names, and then suggest connections.

is Dectective Aymes a good shot? or does dectective gorham have hidden horns with which he 'gore's him'?

there are aptnyms, (Mr butcher who own a butcher shop (and inaptnyms, like Dr Butcher the surgeon) there are character names that are chosen to be aptnyms, and some that are just chosen to be nuetral. (Mr Meloni, one would guess from his name, is italian--or, at least of italian descent, (1st generation? or 3rd? or even longer?)
but Dect. Stabler? could be any ethnic group.
and when casting the part anyone could 'fit the character'.

------------------------------------------------------------
because Buttafuoco 'sounds like' some illicit or unsavory activity in english doesn't have any bearing on what it means in italian. (i have no idea if it has a meaning, or is related to a place, or something else.) but i doubt it mean what you suggested.

I just don't understand you point. is Joey Buttafuoco (or anyone named Buttafuoco) destined to be a sodimite because of their name?

(if names made us what we are, i would be a treasurey guard!) and many others would have very strange professions.
(think of all the smiths--what would they be doing?!))