Well--I could not find a definition of brachylogy that makes it any different from ellipsis, to me. But this one did at least clarify for me that it is not confined to speaking only:

1. brevity in word use: brevity in speech or writing, or an instance of this

2. shortened form of term: a shortened form of an expression, used in informal speech

(emphasis added)
Encarta® World English Dictionary

Both of them mean that something is left out, and that the reader/listener will usually* be able to understand what was meant.

Dictionary.com gives some good (to me) examples of ellipsis in its def. number 1:
1. Grammar. a. the omission from a sentence or other construction of one or more words that would complete or clarify the construction, as the omission of who are, while I am, or while we are from I like to interview people sitting down.
b. the omission of one or more items from a construction in order to avoid repeating the identical or equivalent items that are in a preceding or following construction, as the omission of been to Paris from the second clause of I've been to Paris, but they haven't.

(emphasis added)
Dictionary.com

*I originally had the word still, there, but after seeing Dictionary.com's examples, changed it to usually. Their "I like to interview people sitting down." could be:
a.) I like to interview people who are sitting down.;
b.) I like to interview people while I am sitting down.; OR
c.) I like to interview people while we are sitting down.

Last edited by Jackie; 05/04/07 03:56 PM.