Quote:However I doubt if "caesious " is much used in everyday verbal chat

depends on who you talk to, and their vocabulary.

artists often know names for colors that those with out an artistic eye don't know.

caesious isn't in my pantone book (but then, its a few years old) but there are over 1000 colors, and each has a name.
there are over 6 pages (with 7 shades per page) of colors that could be called aqua. color words exist not to be snooty, but to be precise.

you might have no eye, or not give a wit about color.

but please stop making value judgements about those of us who do care.
knowing the difference between 'light purple' and lilac and lavender, and helitrope might not matter to you. but they are all very different colors. and defining a color, precisely matters.

I don't understand why you keep refering to words as type 3 (defined by YOU as snooty).

if you are not interested in words and their meanings, and using them correctly, why do you post here? you can get by on the 6000 to 12,000 or so basic words used in newspapers (your type 1) and never bother to learn more.

why do you insist on stating that those of us who want to learn words that have narrow precise meanings, are snooty?

it seems a sort of reverse snobbishness. YOU define yourself ast the anti snob, and you define us as snobby for learning precise words..

If you are not interestedin specific words for specific colors (or ideas, or things, or whatever!) go away.
get by with the colors as defined by crayola. (and limit yourself to 64 names for colors). be ignorant, and proud of your complete use of type 1 words.