dale, you got off on the wrong foot with me with your original def'n of type-3 words: Snooty words not used much in everyday conversation, eg, cachinnation

for me, this is remindful of those who railed against the earliest English lexicographers (16th C) who included "inkhorn terms" in their dictionaries; that is, "dark words" or Latinate neologisms (such as employed by a variety of writers since the 14th C).

later (17th C), many inkhorn terms having been accepted (and others perforce rejected), dictionaries became the repository for "hard words." this term was far less pejorative, as it was accepted that many of our best writers used language "not used much in everyday conversation" and needing explication.

surely there is no need at this late date to revert to such a negative classification of words. I for one take umbrage at the notion that my vocabulary may somehow be thought of as "Snooty."

---

I'll be back later (hi Milo) to provide examples from this earlier age, if that would be helpful.

- joe (Chasing the Sun) friday