Fal: '"This is spam" button saves you from seeing more spam of the same type,...'

***Forgive if I wasn't clear. I don't think it's even feasible to write an algorithm that can reliably distinguish spam, as compared with the human mind which can do so within a second. It is the subsequent five seconds of his life that are wasted

Helen: ‘...the standard lay out (since electronic devices, and computer have been around,...’

***Owing I must assume to digital constraints several key locations have in fact been shifted around since I used the typewriter (eg, some punctuation and symbols, with margin release replaced by one corner of Enter, while “1” must now occupy a separate key). But Bill's crew just haven't seemed to realize how many trillions of keystrokes and days if not years of humanity's time have been wasted thanks to the proximity of the Shift and Caps Lock

***...though I readily conceded that the better typists probably don't experience this problem as frequently as do the lazy (me)

J: 'keys layout was intentional scrabbled, to slow typist down Really?? ...'

***At first I too thought Helen was joking, but she seems to know her stuff. I had read that its inventors started with the keys in alphabetical order then somewhat clumsily scrambled them in an effort to assign the most-used keys to the most easily-accessed positions. This latter part of the account could be apocryphal but could account for the most used, etaionshrdlu, being situated mainly toward the top with Q, W, Z, X and P assigned to the most awkward positions

***Though another theory, according to Wiki, asserts they’re arranged ‘...so that successive keystrokes would alternate between sides of the keyboard so as to avoid jams'

***Meantime as Helen points out, faster keyboards have been devised but too late

dalehileman