Old subject maybe to die-hards, but cousins are clumsily handled in our languages. In English , when I say cousin (aunt or uncle's child) nothing indicates whether I mean male or female. Always annoys me that it needs further explanation. In Dutch we make the distinction between the two by using two different words: Neef and nicht. Our weak point is that we use the same two words for sons and daughters of our brothers and sisters (sloppy)), where as in Englsh you give: niece ans nephew, a clear distinction.

The Italians have it also only half right; cugino and cugina for children of aunts and uncles and nipote for brother and sister's children without indication of sexes.

The French have it all under control; cousin and cousine for the children of aunts and uncles and niece and neveu for the children of sisters and brothers.

My German is not too good, don't know but Neffe and Nichte but not if there is any special indic. for brother and sister's son.

Can anyone explain why we do not all treat the cousin- thing like the French? And why it is this way? Do these differences come from different ways families were structured in ancient times?