Thank you for these memories and these excerpts! He definitely had a ribald sense of humour! Keep 'em coming - my mother and I are comforted by them and are collecting them for his tribute page. I have inserted a tiny photo of Dr. Bill as my id photo for you folks - I doubt any of you ever got to see a photo. There will be more on the webpage. He walked miles a day until very close to the end. He would head out to walk always with a wide-brimmed hat and massive shades behind his glasses. When he walked in New England, I remember he used to wear a fluorescent orange hunting cap when he went out - quite a sight. he always wore suspenders too - for as long as I can remember. A mark of his era, perhaps? Thanks to you all for seeing his need to reach out and share his stories, and for forgiving the parts of them and of him that refused to conform to modern standards of (for lack of better words) political correctness/sensitivity. I've been reading stories of his all day and I still gasp with shock now and then! Yet there is so much history preserved in them. It is amazing to me how he can describe the clouds and the way the ocean moved on a day in his youth when he served in the marines - that mind was a bit of a steel trap! Over 13 thousand posts? Wow.