Quote:

Yeah BranShea,
For example today we who do think understand that words of philosophy must fit into a framework based on hard science.

For example, remember Socrates who said to the effect........ ( A quote from the past? );~)

The essence of a thing is the thing's function and this function will direct the thinking enquirer towards the purpose of the thing.

So: The occasion of ritualistic polite behavior in human beings serves as a cultural cohesive which helps the breeding group in its collective desire to continue through time.

Thanks for this reasonable answer.
Of course, that is a way to look at it and no doubt you're right.
But I do hope a bit of frameless thinking is still allowed. Why would we have freedom of speech
and no freedom of thinking?
For about 30 years we have tried so hard to not intimidate the young and the drop- out rate still keeps rising.
Does educating mean pleasing the young?

I was teaching highschool (art/art history) when the so-called "mammoth law" changed our system from
max. 400 students pro school to giant schools: 2000 to 4000 students. 1968. Merging schools. Heavy layers of managemant now
burden the system, changing the rules or no rules all the time and quality of education is going down fast.
Counters-sounds are heard. Not just by the old, but also by the younger.Propositions to return first of all
to grammar lessons. (yesterday, Le Monde, large article)
To propose this cool scientific appraoch on one hand and to take away the tools (grammar) to good 'exact'
understanding on the other hand is frustrating. ( I admit the limits of the word exact and the mixing of two subjects in this case)
Why not combine ' veneration' of what was, with holding on to
the present. Is that so hard?

Were you refering to Wittgenstein with your words about 'the nature of language'? The man who used words to strip all words of their meaning? And " raison d'etre " of humanity; I'm one of the pessimists who are convinced that that will never be found.

Exuse the long posts. I don' t like them, but need brakes laws. I long to get back to lighter stuff too.

Last edited by BranShea; 11/25/06 04:52 PM.