Quote:

Well I would like to further explain the narrowness of Schopenhauer's point of view, as such:

Schopenhauer failed to understand that "politeness" is an invention of social evolution designed to keep close-quartered cultures functioning under overcrowded conditions that cause strife.

Today we all know that all homogenous societies respond to the "crabbed and malevolent" effects of overcrowding by excessive overblown politeness (especially island cultures like the Brits and the Nips but not New Yorkers).

Besides my guess that excessive overblown is a redundancy I think that Schopenhauer makes it very clear that he understands politeness quite for what it is : a cultivated construction to make social traffic easier. And where you see it as linked to island cultures I think the more or less strict use of polite formulas is sooner linked to social classes and training.(not class restricted)

Further more some people are more apt to be polite (though I would rather call it gracious, because in politeness there is also often the desire to really please, meaning not all politeness is calculated strategy) than others.
And finally, anyone can be tempted by someone challenging him over the edge to drop politeness and say the word he'd rather not said.

Schopenhauer's line: " To combine politeness with pride is a masterpiece of wisdom " could refer to this.
Loosing your temper often brings along as side effect the loss of some self esteem.

It is true that politeness seems to slip easier in overcrowded situations , but also the training to be polite seems to be slipping away little by little. Non excessive politeness is a good thing.
(IMO)

Last edited by BranShea; 11/23/06 03:55 PM.