The League of American Wheelmen was formed 125 years ago and is now www.bikeleague.org/

As many of the oldtimers here know I was once a bike rider (I've even toured in Holland!) But a tiny little tumor put paid to that. Cycling is dear to my heart still, though.

Here in the US we have an organization dedicated to taking over old railroad rights of way and converting them to trails. Rails to Trails Conservancy = www.railtrails.org

These are perfect venues for cyclists because the maximum grade is somewhere around 4 percent, which is the steepest grade engines can pull. And they generally go from one population center to another. Even here in tiny little Marion NC we have a railroad right of way in the process of being converted to a biking/hiking trail.

In all of my travels I found the Netherlands to be the most friendly to cyclists (except for the little problem I encountered in cycling on a path which had a sign that said "No feetsers". I assumed, somewhat incorrectly, that it meant no pedestrians. That was back in 1977 and Marti and I were one-hit wonders because we were riding flashy ten-speed bikes, something that was at that time apparently very rare in the country because we were stopped countless times by people who wanted not to talk to us but to examine our rides.

I need to go back. Perhaps I have even recovered enough of my balance to take some rides where it's OK if I wobble a little. That's not safe hereabouts.

TEd