I taught various programming classes in college - BASIC, PL/I, Pascal, advanced FORTRAN, assembler, and Algorithms. In fact, the woman I would eventually start dating and marry took 3 courses from me and dropped each one within a few days. (Some people thought I inflated grades, but they ignored that I had a very high drop rate in the dept, sometimes as high as 50%.)

Anyway, the students occasionally absolutely confounded by the fact that I could detect cheating on their assignments. "How can you POSSIBLY PROVE THAT?" as if it were a big mystery or something.

Reminds me of an incident that happened with my oldest daughter when she's about 4 or 5. It went something like this:
"Amy! Come here! Did you write on this wall?"
"No. Maybe grampa did it."
"Hmmm...well, I asked him and he said he didn't do it."
"Well, maybe Anna (her about 1 year old sister) did it."
"Hmmm...that's an interesting idea, except for two things. First, I don't think she can reach that high, and secondly, I don't THINK she knows how to spell your name."

Usually, when my students cheated, it was about that obvious. I typically told them I wasn't accepting it unless they wanted me to split the grade between them. I always gave them a chance to do over, but I see now I should have been a lot more rigid on this. Inexperience. One of my coworkers also used to teach in college. He always just split their grade and never gave them a chance to make up. He made the students submit electronic copy and wrote a program to compare all the programs in the class.

My daughter consoles herself that the cheaters will eventually do themselves in - like that girl at Harvard who was found guilty of plagiarism. OTOH, that girl was never found guilty of cheating at school.

Her parents did, however, pay a huge amount to have a groomer prep her for entry to her favorite college. Reminds my daughter of a girl in her school who has and has always had an individual tutor for every single subject. She's pretty mad that this girl got into Governor's school as a sophomore when my daughter was rejected. Jealousy is unbecoming. I don't think there's any reason to believe that my daughter's friend is actually cheating and I don't that there's any reason to believe that Harvard student was cheating on her schoolwork either.