Rather than quote in its entirety, I'll say this is a post about Jackie's note that started this thread.

Yes, it gets out of hand sometimes. Yes, we talk about things other than language. Yes, it takes a long time and great effort to get caught up if you aren't super diligent.

But it reminds me a bit of Dulcinea's questioning Sancho Panza about Don Quixote and why Sancho puts up with him. His reply: "I like him, I really like him." Well that's the way I am about this board. I LIKE it. I really like it.

And while I sometimes skim or ignore whole threads and I sometimes make very light of what's being said by throwing in an occasional pun, I don't want to see the board change other than naturally. Which it will. New people will come in. Old ones will drop out entirely or will shift their focuses. There was a point there a few weeks ago when I remarked privately to Jackie that I despaired because I couldn't keep up.

But I persevered because, dammit, you people are my friends! Even if some of you do question my sanity. And we have to devote energy to our friends, accept their foibles, and require of them that they accept ours.

Let's not try to change, let's accept what happens naturally.

TEd