Yes sir.

I have no problem comparing a well-written article in National Geographic about the building of the pyramids and a well-written documentary about the same.

Though the written version may be able to present more facts, the television version is able to present more visual aspects you do not get in the written article. There was a kick-ass one this month on the Discovery channel in which I learned more than I had in a long time.

The power of a well-written humourous book lifts the spirits just as spirits are lifted with a well-written television comedy where the visual aspects of the humour are part of the whole gestalt.

===========================

MAV:

Personally, I really hate rap, but I’m sure that those who do could come up with arguments to the effect that it is as good a Mozart. I don’t think so, but that’s also only my opinion. I don’t believe I am the holder of the ultimate truth.

You have every right argue that television has low cultural value. But it is an opinion. Just because you strongly believe it is so, doesn’t make it the ultimate truth either.

I believe we should be allowed to voice our opinions, but I also believe it is boorish and rude to "look down" on people who do not believe what we do.

The television issue amazes me. Why is it o.k. that people emanate a feeling of superiority about not watching television – like not watching television makes them better people; yet they don’t look down on people who don’t share their opinion on other things (like the rap or elevator music).

Not watching television doesn’t make you a better person, it just makes you a person with different tastes and different opinions.

It is that self-righteous superiority that annoys me, not the fact that people believe different things than I do.