Upon hearing "get", the lyric "stupid get" kept creeping up in my head till I was able to recall the song that was tormenting me. It follows:

Excerpt from I'm So Tired John Lennon

Quote:

I'm so tired, I'm feeling so upset
Although I'm so tired I'll have another cigarette
And curse Sir Walter Raleigh
He was such a stupid git

Excerpts from a lively BB discussion on www.songfacts.com

Yes, it is "git", common British slang, similar to "twit" in the US. By the way, he calls Sir Walter a git for popularizing tobacco in Europe: Although I'm so tired I'll have another cigarette And curse Sir Walter Raleigh He was such a stupid git
- Seth, Orono, ME

Britannie from Liverpool is so wrong. 'Get' was a commonly used insult in the 60's and 70's in the north of England. Can we put this one to bed now..I'm so tired.. it is GET not Git
- john, stoke, - -

I live in London but I was raised in Liverpool. in liverpool we say get but people in London and other parts of britain say git. so john sings get. if you don't believe me look in the book that comes with the White Album disc that includes the lyrics. it says get as well
- Luna, London, England

Actually, "git" was originally "get" and means that which is begotten--the connotation being illegitimacy. So a stupid git or get is what we in america would call a dumb b*st*rd. see http://www.takeourword.com/TOW111/page2.html
- Rick, Powhatan, VA