meniscus in physics (the water thingy) is called that because it is shaped like a crescent moon. The same for the medial and lateral meniscuses (menisci)(menisca) in your knees. They are chunks of cartilage that keep the femur from wearing away the head of the tibia. Or is it the fibula. The larger of the two bones in the lower leg, I think, is the one that articulates with the lower end of the femur. Right near the cruciate ligaments, which, as you might imagine, are cross-shaped.

Last edited by TEd Remington; 03/17/06 12:21 PM.