does seperation of church and state mean that only atheist or agnostics are suitable people for public life?

i don't think so.

are there times when people's personal moral standards vary with the laws of the land? sure..

here in NYS, we've had both catholic and epispicalian governer's who have made it clear they are opposed (personally) to both the death penalty and abortion.

One, veto'd every death penalty bill the NYS assembly passed, and for years, there was no death penalty in NYS.

but--he did nothing (didn't lobby, didn't campaign, didn't try to enact rules and regulations about abortion-since he came into office and this was (post roe vs.wade) the law of the land.

(there were no efforts in the NYS assembly to do anything to modify, or make abortions more difficult to abtain, so there was no legislation to veto)

since then, a second (openly religious man, who has personally stated he, too is personally against the death penalty)has been governer.
and since then NYS assembly has enacted (and the governer let pass) a death penalty law. he did not veto it, even though he was personally against the law.
(curiously, there have not been anyone convicted and sentenced with death--)

so its possible (at least in NYS!) for people to have moral convictions that are at odds with the law of the land, and for them to recognize that they have sworn to uphold the laws of the state

and since such laws currently allow for both the death penalty and for extremely free access to abortions, they do as they have sworn to do. (not as they would personaly do)

I think it is quite possible for reasonable people to recognize there is both secular law (and be a judge) and canon law (and be a active member of a church).

there is an element of christianity that says, render unto cesear that which is cesear's, and unto god, that which is god. Part of our tradition is to recognize (but keep seperate) relegion and law.

like wise here, we can talk about religion, but we general find the idea of prostilitizing unacceptable. (likewise, we do not mock or denigrade any religous belief's)

we also find the idea of political rallying to be off limits.

i won't incur any wrath for talking about the political history of the process of enacting a death penalty law in NYS.. but my own opinions, (should we have the death penaly as an option, in the law?) are not generally welcome.

its is difficult often to discuss these often emotional subjects with out expressing our personal philosophies. so, like good company, in many places, we don't discuss religion or politics here, or at the dinner table (with guests)

some might know (or think they know) my opinions on these subjects, and they may (or may not) be right. living in NY, i could be classified as a 'typical liberal'--but then again, i was raised catholic, and i am irish, and the family is filled with cops and members of law enforcement.(one generation all cops, the next,a mix of cops and Ast DA's) so am i typical liberal? or a law and order person?

it doesn't matter. this forum is not a place we discuss such philosophies.