dear dxb round here, the spell check (something i never use, inspite of having a great need of!) is lovingly referred to as Ænigma -- (Now you are asking yourself, how did she do that?)

Well come to the mad house. the keys to some of the madness can be found in the FAQ-- its only about 4 page if you print it out, and it's a great guide..

but it won't tell you how to do a Æ ! for that, you must find one of Max Q's post, and at the end of any one of them, there is a link to his web page, which has pages and pages.. of neat tricks, complete with illustrations! they have been compiled from various user questions,-- and it save time-- you can learn the tricks at your own speed!

getting back to gasket, very many plumbing term got their start at sea.. sailors had to learn how to deal with leaking water long before we brought pipes filled with water into the house. as for why is is related to the word for a hind leg of horse.. well we will have fun exploring!

being a city gal, i know almost nothing about horses.. but we have some equestrian on board.. maybe they will know.

Post edit-- I took to long forming an answer! there is one of Max's Post right above..!