This just in...

LIMA, Peru -- (AP) A coalition of New World Monkeys today protested the publication of the limerick The Banana Boat, citing biologically incorrect references that deprived them of fair inclusion into the popular verse. One marmoset commented that "Chimpanzees have prehensile toes, as any biologist knows, but their tales are truncated. That's simply how they're created. Perhaps Williams should now stick to prose." A howler monkey added, "In the poetry written by man, are all primates from the genus Pan? We platyrrhines can harpoon just fine and with care our names also scan!" The entire group then hurled feces until the author, looking ashen, apologized and agreed to edit the verse, and announced to the crowd of irate simians "I vow to be always inclusive, and eschew attitudes so exclusive in my er... trivial verse, and celebrate the diverse. (Now I see why Harper Lee's so reclusive!)"

The poem was then republished with the offending passage altered. Original copies are becoming collectors items, selling on ebay for an astounding twenty-five cents. When a mountain gorilla was asked if he was offended to be excluded from the whaling adventure entirely, he shrugged his massive shoulders and ate a banana. Meanwhile, the estate of Herman Mellville is said to be scrutinizing the work for copyright infringement.

Last edited by Alex Williams; 02/18/06 12:01 PM.