That's a good question, Marianna. I really don't know. Probably one reason could be that, when I was in junior high (in mid-nineties), we were told that we'd have to learn Latin if we ever wanted to apply to medical school. Of course, that turned out to be completely bogus when we reached senior high, but most of my friends took the course anyway - just to understand the difficult words that inevitably come up when studying medical field.

Moreover, we Finns do study a lot of languages: an average Finn starts his/her English studies in the third grade (age 10), Swedish studies (the second official language in Finland) in the seventh grade (age 13), and one more foreign language in the eigth grade (not obligatory as Swedish and one foreign language). My third language was French, but I really do not remember any of it... The choices you make are dependent of the school district: in rural towns, you can't choose anything but English, but in bigger towns (like mine, 200 000 inhabitants), you can choose for example French to be your first foreign language. If you choose something else than English, you can start learning English in the fifth grade (age 11) and the other two languages follow in the same order despite of your first language. Consequently, you can study four different languages at the age of 14, and continue all of them throughout senior high school. One reason for the popularity of Latin in Finland could be that schools want to distinct themselves from other schools by a broader curriculum - some schools offer Russian and Spanish (which are not that popular in Finland), and other offer Latin or Greek...

Marianna, some Finnish words do originate from Latin, and some from English (some of those have roots in Latin), and sometimes it is easier to think of the Latin word to create the Finnish one, or vise versa. Maybe this somewhat answers to your question?

Oh, and zmjezhd, I checked the site you gave, and found it interesting. He also has recorded Blue Suede Shoes in sumerian(!). There's also a Finnish metal band (Amorphis) that has taken all of their lyrics from a the Finnish national epic, Kalevala, and translated them to English. A bit off topic, but thought it could be mentioned here also...