I see myself as a logophile. I've been part of AWAD, wwftd, and M-W mailing list since I was 16 (Okay, I'm only 19, but still). Also, I used to like to just randomly browse through the dictionary for hours and hours reading random words. It got to the point that I used to write out definitions of words which I liked. But then college and "busy-ness" hit, so I can't do that anymore.

Okay, I'm going off topic.

Do you think someone like me that has a passion for words should take a course in Latin? I'm in college now, and I think I should use it as an opportunity before I graduate.

Have any of you taken Latin? How were your experiences?

Latin is the foundation of about a third of English words (along with Old English and French). (Anyways, Latin comes from French too). With Latin I hope to gain the skill of being able to see a word I have never seen before, break it up to its roots and affixes, and figure out what it means by its Latin root. Sometimes I can already recognize words by those roots. I'm thinking it can open up this whole new door of understanding for me.
Also, Latin might also help me with Spanish, which is another language I speak (although I'm getting kind of rusty), and I've always been frond of French, which are both Latin languages.
(I think I have a few songs in Latin too.)

Last edited by mechanesthesia; 02/08/06 04:06 PM.

[insert signature here]