Neo: You are programs.

Rama-Kandra: Oh yes. I am the power plant systems manager for recycling operations. My wife is an interactive software programmer, she is highly creative.

Kamala: What are you doing here? You do not belong here.

Rama-Kandra: Kamala, Goodness, I apologize. My wife can be very direct.

Neo: It's OK. I don't have an answer. I don't even know where "here" is.

Rama-Kandra: This place is nowhere. It is between your world and our world.

Neo: Who is the train man?

Rama-Kandra: He works for the Frenchman.

Neo: Why did I know you were going to say that.

Rama-Kandra: The Frenchman does not forget. And he does not forgive.

Neo: Do you know him?

Rama-Kandra: I know only what I need to know. I know that if you want to take something from our world into your world that does not belong there, you must go to the Frenchman.

Neo: Is that what you're doing here?

Kamala: Rama, please.

Rama-Kandra: I do not want to be cruel, Kamala. He may never see another face for the rest of his life.

Neo: I'm sorry. You don't have to answer that question.

Rama-Kandra: No, I don't mind. The answer is simple. (Looks at his daughter, who beams back.) I love my daughter very much. I find her to be the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. But where we are from, that is not enough. Every program that is created must have a purpose, if it does not, it is deleted. I went to the Frenchman to save my daughter. ... You do not understand.

Neo: I just have never...

Rama-Kandra: Heard of programs speak of love.

Neo: It is a human emotion.

Rama-Kandra: No, it is a word. What matters is the connection the word implies. I see that you are in love. Can you tell me what you would give to hold onto that connection?

Neo: Anything.

Rama-Kandra: Then perhaps the reason you are here is not so different than the reason I am here.

Later:

Neo: You're not staying with her [Sati] ?

Rama-Kandra: It is not possible. Our arrangement with the Frenchman was for our daughter only. My wife and I must return to our world.

Neo: Why?

Rama-Kandra: That is our karma.

Neo: You believe in Karma?

Rama-Kandra: "Karma" is a word, like "love." A way of saying, "what I am here to do." I do not resent my karma, I am grateful for it. Grateful for my wonderful wife, for my beautiful daughter, they are gifts, and so I do what I must do to honor them.

Andy Wachowski & Larry Wachowski (2003)