Quote:

Homo Loquens calls on his sock puppet Ullrich to back him up. Twice before have we had incidents of troublemakers being banned from the board -- one shared charateristic was, in typical troll fashion, they created several screen names to hide behind. Funny how these guys seem to operate the same way.

I only have a few more things to say now.

Since the denouement, ullrich has been identified with Homo Loquens. I took that for granted. There was no deception in posting under that username. It was only done as a valedictory gesture to consuelo. Her decision is an error. I felt she needed to know that.

Yes, a sock puppet.

In the typical illustration of the stages of human evolution a grunting quadrumane is seen to develop through several evolutionary stages into modern man. The problem with this image is clear: modern man is wearing a chamois loin cloth and carrying a Neolithic spear. But standing in a phantom extension beyond the page, is Homo Loquens. Talking Man.

Homo Loquens has no actual locus, and is without intrinsic mass. The characteristic details by which he may be identified are the radial streams of text messages, e-mails, blog entries, and message-board postings of which he is the unknowable centre.

And who is Homo Loquens?

I am Homo Loquens. consuelo is Homo Loquens. Faldage. Ted. inselpeter. Signifiers without referents. All of us. Il n'y a pas de hors-texte.

Since I first blundered into AWADtalk and signed in as ullrich to ask the etymology of siderated, I have enjoyed the logomachy; banter; ripostes; bad jokes; risible intellectual hautuer; google-ad bibble-babble; ad hominem digressions; nitpicking; Hog Wash; showboating; and childish transliteration of spoken cant. And while the thought processes at work behind consuelo's decision to shut me down; to negate dialectical relations with another; to immure herself in a bulwalk of oblivion, are different in aspect, but identical in essense with those that generate the initial conditions of racial intolerance, bigotry, and hatred, this is not while I (Sebastian, ullrich, Homo Loquens) am leaving AWADtalk.

I am leaving because the posts are like so many wringing hands; the hands of lotus-eaters; Persons from Porlock. Because when I came to I noticed that I was writing -- trying to write -- a pointless rejoinder to a pointless snub against my pointless thread about adverbs.

And seeing as I am leaving, and because it doesn't matter, I may as well tell you, my name is Marie and bin gar keine Russin, stamm' aus Litauen