> Do you enjoy your job? Do you find it enriching/interesting/monotonous? do you feel like you would enjoy doing something else more? what stops you from doing it?

I’m currently working as a marketing consultant. In previous half-lives I have (in no particular order) worked shire horses, run a manufacturing plant, operated a hotel/conference centre, milked cows, worked for the richest woman in the world, worked for a tiny boat hire company, started a theatre and arts centre, worked for a multinational paper-maker, and probably all kinds of other crap I can’t remember.

In my present job as in most others the chocolate chips and the rabbit droppings are cunningly intermingled. Every day’s a discovery. When I get sick of it I shall do something else, which may or may not relate to what I’ve done before. I’ve got more blasé about that as I have got older. I sometimes get enrichment from this as other jobs – but like Elizabeth implied, there are always tradeoffs to be struck between work as life satisfaction and work as wolf-deterrence. Yes, there are loads of things I’d rather be doing – the practical inertia that clogs your life as you accumulate relationships and responsibilities (as well as sheer cowardice) stop me from attempting all of them.

But there is still some time…