Logwood, I work as a translator (Bahasa Indonesia -> English) and editor. I work for an Indonesian law firm. The work can be repetitive and monotonous sometimes with roughly the same document coming across my desk time and time again but written by a different person so I have to keep my eyes peeled for slightly different wordings. At other times I get completely new documents which are completely engrossing because I feel like I'm learning something.

If you get the chance, find out which of your prospective employers deals with the widest possible range of documents, and be prepared to read widely in both English and Hebrew. You obviously have an enquiring mind so I assume that aspect of being a translator will appeal to you.

If you want to know whether it really is for you before you take things much further, just do it. Try translating newspaper/magazine articles (pick them at random, not just ones on subjects you like and know about), operating manuals, official documents, short stories and any other documents you can get your hands on. Do as much as you can and try and imagine yourself doing it all day.

Some translation bureaux (I assume these are what you're applying to) want you to come to work in their office, others want you to work from home. These both have advantages and disadvantages. If you're working in an office, you have colleagues to consult, but on the other hand if you're working from home, it gives you more of a chance to build up your own client base in case you decide freelancing and self-employment is more for you.

There is a mailing list for Indonesian translators called bahtera (Indonesian for ark and an abbreviation for language (bahasa) and translation (terjemahan)), and I assume there must be one for Hebrew translators. Try lurking on that, to see if the points they discuss have any interest for you.

Bingley