I came across this word in Ulysses and I'm totally stumped.

It's not in a single dictionary in my possession. The closest is "ruggedized" (American).

I have tried looking for roots or a cognate. The closest is "rug".

It conspicuous by its absence in the annotations in the Oxford World's Classic version (annotated by Jeri Johnson), otherwise comprehensive.

It is conspicuous by its absence in all of the guide books. I have three, one of which -- Ulysses Annotated by Don Gifford -- is a tomb, an encyclopaedia, and besides, includes entries even when the source of an unusual word or term is unknown (e.g. Somethingorother : The source of this term is unknown).

Google returns 231 for arruginated, none of them definitions, all of them on e-texts of Ulysses.

Was it a typo? Perhaps it should read "originated" ? The 1922 text of Ulysses contains a number of typos, all of them mentioned in an appendix with correction. Arruginated is not mentioned in the appendix of ammendations. I have not found a version in which it does not read "arruginated". And on the Naxos unabridged audio-recording of Ulysses, Jim Norton, the narrator, reads it as "arruginated" (pronouncing it "or-RIG-i-nay-tid" with the RIG rhymes with "pig").

A search of a highly active Yahoo! re-through group --"Joyce-Ulysses A look at James Joyce's Ulysses" -- with 616 members and 6 years of posts does not yield a single result.

If AWADtalk cannot help, I will have to consign it to the unknown as a mystery all indissoluble. But then, why should there be no mention of it anywhere?

Episode : Ithaca.
Context : Mr Bloom is unlocking the garden gate to let Stephen Dedalus out :


By inserting the barrel of an arruginated male key in the hole of an unstable female lock, obtaining a purchase on the bow of the key and turning its wards from right to left, withdrawing a bolt from its staple, pulling inward spasmodically an obsolescent unhinged door and revealing an aperture for free egress and free ingress.

Last edited by Homo Loquens; 11/30/05 07:09 AM.