I received an email about old time words that we hear rarely if at all these days. I became nostalgic and so here it is with some additions and subtractions - in other words , heavily edited.... but perhaps it will spark some discussion!
Please excuse typos. I am recovering from (would you believe) Carpal Tunnel in right hand which is reason I haven't been posting in a great while.
So - here we go : I came across "fender skirts" - a term I hadn't read or heard in a long time There are other words and phrases that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a whimper.
Words/phrases like : "steering knobs" and "Continental kits." And still on subject of automobiles - when did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some oint "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."
And speaking of drama : Do you remember being able to ride on a car's "running board?"

A phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore - "store-bought." Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days.
And mothers were embarrassed if they had to admit a cake was "store bought" instead of home made! How times do chage.

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement. Now we take the term "world wide" for granted.
On a smaller scale, in the 1950s, "wall-to-wall carpeting" covered hardwood floors. Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall with hardwood floors.

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?" Imagine - "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. So we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or "expecting."

Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. It's just "bra" now. "Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all. But we still use the word "delicates" - go figure.

In my youth we went to "the pictures" or "the movies'" Some really cool kids called movies "the flicks"
Here's a word I miss - "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? "Coffeemaker." Booooring.
Ok, your turn.