Well, it's too long ago, and I don't remember the quality of the acting, only a very general impression of the film, which I came away from very happy and satisfied.

I also don't remember seeing the reflections of the crew on glass, although I imagine the filmmaker was deliberately drawing attention to the filmmaking. This was a more daring approch in the 60s or 70s, I guess. I remember seeing one Goddard film which may take place entirely inside an apartment, or even a bedroom, with a prominent window overlooking a black night-sky in which flashes a neon sign. It is a convincing illusion, and so stands out, that you are forced to comment on it mentally as you watch the film: the location scouting, the setup, etc. At the end of the film, the crew strikes the set on camera, and the sign is revealed to be a small model, the window, a cutout in a flat. For a filmmaker interested in images -- and particularly for one with a post-modern obsession with self-conscoiusness (even though that should be a paradox) -- this sort of commentary on the image itself is more difficult to avoid than the next fix.

But it was precisely the obsession with image that I liked about it. Hamlet has never been my favorite Shakespeare, although I hardly feel qualified to say it isn't one of his greatest plays (my personal favoiite is Lear). But what irks me about Hamlet is its uniqueness among Shakespeare's plays. Shakespeare is superficial. That is, in general, while he deals with the great matters of the human condition, he does not indulge, or perhaps know, about the self, interiority and all its morbid shadows and reverberations. The play is the word, sparkles like the lake in August. The brilliance of superfices. And, then, her comes Hamlet, that brooding prince in his haunted castle. Oh, those rattlings of chains! I admire it, but I can't stand it. Or such was my feeling in 1990 when the film in question came out. And it was like a breath of fresh air. Frankly, it was Hamlet, and I didn't want to go. But go I did, and I found the literal superficialtiy delightful. Actually, it changed my opinion of Hamlet which, for the first time, I could enjoy.

edit: belliyth and I agree that we are talking about a film made in 2000; I have the 1990 date from imdb, but I think that's too early.