The new testament reference is to a letter Paul sent to the congregation at Corinth.

Two kiloyears ago, sailers preferred to hug the coast rather than take to the open sea. The shore provided shelter from storms. Besides, the GPS of the day only used one satellite, and it wasn't available but about 12 hours daily. Being considerably shorter to pass through the straits near Corinth than to go around the southern part of Greece, Corinth had a rather strategic location.

It's lonely when you're away from your wife, so sailors tend to have a girl in every port. Since all sailors had Corinth as a port, the Corinthians were very worldly and very wealthy.

Think of the Corinthians as being the Playboy Club of its time. Decades ago, when Playboy had clubs and I was reading their magazine regularly, they had many articles on the good life - fine wine, fine clothes, fine jewelry, and fine stereos. Oh, and nekkid wimmens, too.

Paul's advisory letter to the Corinthians suggested that perhaps it was not wise to be so enthusiastic about loving thy neighbor, no matter what Jesus said. Oh, and don't play your stereo so loud, and use soda water to get out the stain if you spill some of that water turned into wine.

Unless you believe that the piano player in the whorehouse didn't know what was happening in the back rooms, you will find a connection between Paul's letter to the Corinthians and these gentlemen calling themselves Corinthians.

-----
Words fail me. (Turnabout is fair play.)

-----
Words fail me. (Turnabout is fair play.)