Saranita! [HUG] We do have all kinds of ethical questions nowadays that were far outside the realm of possibility just a relatively short time ago: pick the gender of your child; having another woman actually bear your child. Though I guess most of the legal issues on that one are easing toward settling down. Should we clone high-yield, bug-resistant food plants? High-yield sheep or milk cows? These are not questions that I can answer. I personally cannot think of any "good" reason to clone a dog. I wonder if there is anyone who would genuinely want a cloned human? I am thinking of someone--maybe a parent?--who may be so distraught at the death of a loved one that they might want a clone (assuming that might ever become a real possibility)? To me, that would be just creepy. [shudder]
Speaking of "good" reasons: I also cannot think of ANY reason that *I would ever think it would be a good thing to clone a human. But I can see where other people might--neo-Nazis, for ex., might love it if a Hitler clone were to exist.
And none of what I've said has even touched on anything to do with religion, which would definitely throw (well, has done so, I reckon) a high-profile spanner into the works. As much as I've seen and heard about it, it still surprises me what people will use religion as a reason for; just a couple of days ago I saw on TV that groups in the U.S. use part(s) of the Bible as justification for polygamy; and different groups use other parts for other things, of course; to say nothing of all the extremist groups. [shaking head e]
The human race still has a long way to go, don't we?