I was born in 1937, and my family seemed to be familiar with "geehaw" as long as I can remember. Could have been family or colloquialism, but seems broader than that. Odd. Thanks.--Johnnie G

You are correct, Johnnie G.

Teaching The Commands "Gee!" And "Haw!"

Haw!" - Come Here, to the Left
First I teach "Haw!" because it is easier to teach than "Gee!" "Haw" means turn to the left. You are working the ox from the left side with a halter and lead-rope on him. Walk counterclockwise around the edge of the ring so that you are on his left side. The fence is on his right side. Command him to "Get-up!"

When he is walking along nicely, then you tap him with the lash on his right side somewhere between his ears and his mid-back and tug on the halter rope and say "Haw!" When you do this your ox should turn towards you.
---------
We want to reserve his rear end for propelling him forward with the command "Get-up!" and his front part up to his ears is reserved for "Gee!" and "Haw!" left and right.

http://snipurl.com/ggza

re his front part up to his ears is reserved for "Gee!" and "Haw!" left and right

Did the instructor mean "Gee!" and "Haw!" right and left"? [i.e. "right and left" respectively]

Perhaps, not.

To get the ox to move to the left with the command "Haw!", you tap the animal of the right side.

To get the ox to move to the right with the command "Gee!", you tap the animal on the left side.