In a private conversation, Jo mentioned donning a jumper– and I realized, of course that she was putting on what I would call a pull over sweater–. Since to me a jumper is a open necked, sleeveless, deep arm holed dress. More commonly worn by young girls, you might occasional find a nice one, in wool, with a matching jacket, being worn by a business woman. In all cases, you would wear something under a jumper–

When I was in elementary school, we wore blue wool jumpers, with deep scoop necks, and white blouses with peter pan collars. And it got me thinking...

Here is a list of clothing, read through the list– I am sure there a things I missed. It is more heavily loaded with american terms– forgive me
add to it or
pick a few to "define"–

As I constructed the list– I thought, oh every one will know and agree on this– and then thought again, and realize some of these things might not be known to jazz or nemo or xara– and they might add some things that I will see and say what?

But once defined, oh– I call it an X, not a Y..(and if they where my children, they would roll their eyes, and say–you are so totally outdated!– but here its safe!) And some like jumper, knicker, flannels, suspenders– I know have very different meanings depending on location.

anorak
ascot
bandana
bermudas's
braces
bubuska
caftan
cape
cardigan
cat suit
clam diggers
cover all's
culottes
dress
dresser
eton jacket
flannels
floods
frock
galoshes
garters
gator's
jerkin
jersey
jumpsuit
kerchief
knee highs
knickers
long johns
mac
mocs
models coat
monkey suit
mu-mu
mukluk
muscle shirt
nehru jacket
panties
parka
pea coat
pinafore
pinny
plus fours
pullover
romper
sarong
serape
shawl
shirtwaist
shrug
ski jacket
skort
slicker
smock
stockings
stocks
sun suit
suspenders
sweats
trainers
trousers
union suits
vest
wellies
whites
wrapper
most of this is outer clothing–but there is no reason to leave it at that– when I was 13 or so, boys the same age would tease about "an over the shoulder boulder holder". Is that a local mocking term– or did young boys everywhere tease young girls with the same term?