for a while when out of college, my son lived in Astoria (the queens, NY one) --a neighborhood well known for its greek population.

benjamin is content to live anywhere where there are 24 hour coffee shops. (he doesn't often go out at 4 AM for coffee, but he sleeps better knowing he can)

a bit of trouble maker, he would frequently go into greek coffee shops, and ask for 'turkish style coffee'.

the greeks always insisted greek style was better..

when he found the odd turkish coffee shop or restaurant, he always asked for greek coffee--and was met with the same indignation--and the claim turkish coffee is better.

(he claimed there was no difference)

i personally can't tell the difference between most turkish dishes and greek ones.. or armenian ones for that matter--even many syrian dishes are very similar. the names don't change much either. some are bit sweeter, some a bit spicier, but its hard to tell if the cook or a national difference.

(benjamin is a natural born vegitarian who disliked meat as an infant--near eastern foods became a popular family choice because of the mix of fish, lamb and vegetarian choices available--every one in family could find something they liked.)

aside from an odd word or two, what i know most about different cultures is the food.