RE: Am I going to be able to understand it?

sentences and paragraphs made sense... but pages and chapters didn't!

i think the book would be a great one as a group read along. (not that i am suggesting it!)

i think it would be more understandable with discussion, and with a group (like us) who have some artists (who could show other examples of how art works), and muscians, who could play the music and walk us throught the subtles that we tone deaf miss, (and who could play the music for those of us, who are unable to read music and "hear" it in our heads) and mathmaticians (even if only amature mathmaticians) who could help those who are mathphobic.

for me, understanding of the ideas was elusive.. i would read and understand, but not so well that i could ever explain it to others. -i never 'grokked' the ideas, the connections, the overallness of the book.

it was like one of those random dot astiagrams. (magic pictures) that i could never quite make come into focus.. but could at fleeting times 'see'.

(i can do RDA's in seconds. and i can also 'find' the same optical effect with many other objects. fences, grills (on radiator covers), wicker, screens and other 'regular' interference patterns can be used to create the same 3D effect. --i can pop in and out of focus with these patterns/ on other patterns.)