In the city even if you find or make a quiet spot there is always noise behind the quiet. In the country you can sense the quiet behind the noise.

I suppose this hinges on one's intent: To hear things out of context? or to hear the context within them? ...since silence itself cannot be *heard.

I search the night for silences. Although living on a busy street in a large city doesn't offer much, I do have nightly impasses where the industrial corridor in which I reside is void of traffic, and I can occasionally hear the low rumble or roar of the expressway almost a mile away, but tucked in between buildings as I am does offer me some snipets of silence.

A perspective has been forged from my years of listening, performing, composing and hearing music that the busier the music gets the more my ears seek silence... so as music finds a balance between the space used and the space allowed, so do my anticipations (or even anxieties, I suppose) resolve. This is what I transpose to words when I say "less is more".